Recreational Insurance

At Woodford Insurance we have experience insuring all types of recreational vehicles. Whether you like spending time on the open water, or riding through the woods, we can protect the things you use to have fun. Click here to get a quote ›

What is recreational insurance?

Recreational insurance is insurance for any of the non-automobile vehicles you own. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy.

Recreational insurance provides property, liability and medical coverage for vehicles such as:

  • Motorcycles
  • RVs/trailers
  • Boats/personal water crafts
  • Snowmobiles
  • All-terrain vehicles
  • Golf carts
  • Segways

A recreational vehicle insurance policy is comprised of six different kinds of coverage. Most states require you to buy some, but not all, of these coverages. If you’re financing a recreational vehicle, your lender may also have requirements.

Most recreational vehicle policies are for six months to a year. Your insurance company should notify you by mail when it’s time to renew the policy and to pay your premium.

What is in a basic recreational vehicle policy?

Your recreational vehicle policy may include six basic coverages. Each coverage is priced separately.

Bodily Injury Liability

This coverage applies to injuries you, the designated driver or policyholder cause to someone else. It’s very important to have enough liability insurance, because if you are involved in a serious accident, you may be sued for a large sum of money. Definitely consider buying more than the state-required minimum to protect assets such as your home and savings.

Medical Payments

This coverage pays for the treatment of injuries to the driver and passengers of the policyholder’s car. At its broadest, MedPay can cover medical payments, lost wages and the cost of replacing services normally performed by someone injured in an auto accident. It may also cover funeral costs.

Property Damage Liability

This coverage pays for damage you (or someone driving the recreational vehicle with your permission) may cause to someone else’s property. Usually, this means damage to someone else’s property, but it also includes damage to lamp posts, telephone poles, fences, buildings or other structures your vehicle hit.


This coverage pays for damage to your vehicle resulting from a collision with another vehicle, object or as a result of flipping over. Collision coverage is generally sold with a deductible of $250 to $1,000 – the higher your deductible, the lower your premium. Even if you are at fault for the accident, your collision coverage will reimburse you for the costs of repairing your vehicle, minus the deductible. If you’re not at fault, your insurance company may try to subrogate. If they are successful, you’ll also be reimbursed for the deductible.


This coverage reimburses you for loss due to theft or damage caused by something other than a collision with another vehicle or object, such as fire, falling objects, missiles, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, flood, vandalism, riot, or contact with animals such as birds or deer.

States do not require that you purchase collision or comprehensive coverage, but if you have a loan, your lender may insist you carry it until your loan is paid off.

Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage

This coverage will reimburse you, a member of your family, or a designated operator if one of you is hit by an uninsured or hit-and-run operator.

Can I operate a recreational vehicle legally without insurance?

You may be able to operate a recreational vehicle without insurance. Depending on where you are operating the vehicle, you may legally require insurance. However, due to the different situations in which you may operate a recreational vehicle, it is best to check with your insurance agent to know for sure.

What’s the difference between cancellation and non-renewal?

There is a big difference between when an insurance company cancels a policy and when it chooses not to renew it. Insurance companies cannot cancel a policy that has been in force for more than 60 days except:

  • If you fail to pay the premium.
  • If you have committed fraud or made serious misrepresentations on your application.
  • If your driver’s license has been revoked or suspended.

Non-renewal is a different matter. Either you or your insurance company can decide not to renew the policy when it expires. Depending on the state you live in, your insurance company must give you a certain number of days notice and explain the reason for non-renewal before it drops your policy. If you think the reason is unfair or want a further explanation, call the insurance company’s consumer affairs division. If you don’t get an explanation, call your state insurance department.